Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The ODP in Nature

I finally managed to publish in Nature (along with Mike Taylor and Matt Wedel)! Ok, it's only a glorified letter to the editor. But we still won't complain. Our contribution [subscription required; I know, it's ironic] focuses on the issue of data sharing in paleontology. It's partly a plea for greater data availability, and partly an advertisement for the Open Dinosaur Project. For more details, see my post at the ODP project blog.

Citation
Farke, A. A., M. P. Taylor, and M. J. Wedel. 2009. Public databases offer one solution to mistrust and secrecy. Nature 461: 1053. [link; subscription required]

14 comments:

VictorStephens said...

I read your ODP project and how 'Nature' is doing some contribution to your works. What shocked me was the unavailability of data for research. Data should be shared, especially in this field where there is so much curiousity and excitement.
You should have a central database for such research data where excess should be readily available for interested parties.

Le Snips said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tinkerschnitzel said...

Published is published, isn't it? lol

I came across your blog here through "Blogs of Note". Very cool to see someone else interested in the open access thing for the paleo sciences. I'm an aspiring paelontologist myself, we'll just see how long it takes for me to get there!

Cabbage soup recipe said...

ODP progjects are cool. I like your blog! Keep up the good work!

Michael said...

Very intriguing, I will remember this now that it has come to my attention.

Congratz on blog of note.

LumenArc said...

Yeah baby! Open access thing for the paleo sciences, keep it going!

Maz said...

I think these ODP prjects are really interesting.

Sharing Wallpaper said...

Visit www.sharingwalpaper.blogspot.com for beautiful wallpapers

Anonymous said...

free premium rapidshare accounts, and a whole list of them
http://rapidshare.com/files/297360842/rapidshreACCS.txt

Anonymous said...

very good blog, keep it like this: great to read

The Flying Spaghetti Monster said...

congrats!

ThatGirl said...

Your blog is very interesting. You got me interested! Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

mm, I newbie for Open Source, but for your project I respect anything about open source... please visit me back...

Anonymous said...

Hi...your blog is very nice. I like to visit your blog. And i want to always visit everyday. Don't forget to visit my blog at Zrooglepic