Friday, February 12, 2010

New OpenOffice.org Release

The latest release of OpenOffice.org (version 3.2) just came out. I've been using release candidate 4 for the last week or so, and love it. For those of you who aren't familiar with the package, it's an open source office suite, with full-fledged word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software (my experience is primarily with the first three). Plus, it's free! For the last four years, OpenOffice.org has been my primary office suite - my dissertation was written on it, all of my slides (and many poster presentations) are composed in it, and the great bulk of my data collection happens with this software. In that time, I've seen the software evolve from a decent package to a great package!

Improvements in this release include a faster start-up time, better copy-and-paste functionality in Calc (the spreadsheet), and much more. I've also noticed some bug fixes for the track changes and comments feature when working with Microsoft Word documents (something I do quite frequently, particularly for collaborations). All of these are mostly minor steps beyond the previous release, but it's still well worth the download time for the upgrade.

No comments: